I love coconut milk and ginger and today I had a serious craving for both. This recipe went from conception, to prep, to bowl in under 20 minutes. This can easily be made vegan by eliminating the chicken. You can also substitute shrimp for chicken -- It all depends on what's available in your refrigerator.
Recipe for One Serving of Fennel Coconut Ginger Soup
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/4 vidalia onion, sliced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño (seeds removed) and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili paste (optional)
- about 3 ounces of boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon fresh shredded ginger
- 6 basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil
How to Prepare Fennel Coconut Ginger Soup
In a medium pot, quickly sauté garlic in a drop of oil. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add carrots, onion, pepper, celery, fennel, jalapeño, and chilli paste and bring to a boil. Next, add chicken, coconut milk and ginger and bring to a boil until chicken is cooked. Removed from heat, add basil leaves and serve.
Boom! Craving satisfied. :)
Until next time...