Over the last several weeks I have eaten this salad 5-6 times. It is a testament that sometimes simple is best.
Recipe (Makes 2 Servings)
- Two large Beefsteak or Vine Ripened Tomatoes
- 3 cups of Arugula
- 1/8 cup of shaved parmesan
- 1 Tablespoon Basil Pesto (I make a batch every couple of weeks but I also like Buitoni. It's in the refrigerator section at my local grocery store.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 of a Lemon (About a tablespoon of lemon juice)
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Slice tomatoes as thin as you can get them. I use a very sharp chef's knife for this and it goes pretty quickly.
- Wash and dry arugula and place in a large bowl and set aside
- Add olive oil, basil pesto and lemon juice to a small bowl and use a fork to combine
- Pour pesto basil dressing over arugula and coat well
- Arrange the tomato slices in a circle on the bottom of a large plate (x 2) and sprinkle with a bit of salt and some fresh cracked pepper (I promise, this makes it taste better.)
- Add parmesan to the arugula and quickly combine
- Heap arugula in the center of the tomato slices and serve immediately.
I'm not a huge fan of salads but this will become a go-to salad because it's quick, easy and most importantly, it tastes fantastic!